Friday, June 20, 2008

A PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS

We've covered the six keys that unlock your reader's memory, allowing them to personalize your story and fill in more details than you have space to write. Now let's explore another tool that will connect you with your reader- internalization. Essentially it's dialogue with yourself.

With internalization you allow the reader inside your head, inside your heart. This is the intimate part of your writing whether it is sharing a funny experience that only best friends share or letting them witness your vulnerability.

As an example, the following is an excerpt from my story, Down and Out, in Chicken Soup for the Mothers of Preschoolers Soul:

As I picked up the (baby) carrier and herded everyone down the hallway, I tossed a rueful glance at my reflection in a large mirror. Who was that woman? Dressed in a baggy sweatsuit, hair pulled back in a haphazard ponytail, no lipstick, no earrings. Before preschoolers I wouldn't have considered going out in public looking like that. I shrugged and wiped grape jelly off my cheek.

See how you got into my head? I let you into my thoughts, we connected on a more private, intimate level. Internalization gives depth to your nonfiction piece.

Next time: Dialogue.






No comments: